top of page
Postcard
105 x 148 cm
T00514: They were all like this

I have always been fascinated by the work of Louise Nevelson, in some sense it was Nevelson’s work that introduced me to Monochrome Art.  Inspired by the work of Nevelson, I learned that the monochrome expanded out from paintings to sculptures in which the artist would use one colour to extenuate form, material and scale.

In the Summer 2018, I visited Tate Modern in the hope of seeing if the gallery had began to sell any more Yves Klein’s IKB79, which wasn’t the case, however I did see a postcard of Nevelson’s Black Wall, 1959.  Excited that I had not seen a Nevelson postcard at a Tate Gallery before, I immediately picked up the postcard to take home.  When then turned the postcard around, finding that the information for Black Wall was printed upside down to that of the image, and they were all like this.

‘When you look at a postcard and turn it around to write on, you imagine or assume that any information would be in the mirror that of the front.  The action of having to flip the postcard, flips the art work and with Nevelson’s sculpture –  which doesn’t present itself as light, turns a visual action into that of being able to flip art and its immediate response.’
Paul Jex

bottom of page